In the world of poetry, Edgar Allan Poe is known chiefly by two poems quotes, one from the “The Raven” and one from Annabel Lee” and we probably don’t even have to tell you what the quotes are– that’s how famous they are. But how well do you know his other poems?
Here are some lines from some of his other poems to test your Poe knowledge with. Click on the lines for the poem it is from:
1. You are not wrong who deem
That my days have been a dream
2. They are neither man nor woman–
They are neither brute nor human–
3. And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow–
4. And, though my faith be broken,
And, though my heart be broken,
5. Yes, Heaven is thine; but this
Is a world of sweets and sours;
6. That motley drama— oh, be sure
It shall not be forgot!
7. Lo, in yon brilliant window-niche
How statue-like I see thee stand,
8. Know thou the secret of a spirit
Bow’d from its wild pride into shame
9. These were days when my heart was volcanic
As the scoriac rivers that roll
10. Wretches! ye loved her for her wealth and hated her for her pride,
‘And when she fell in feeble health, ye blessed her—that she died!
Get less than 5? Time to read “Edgar Allan Poe’s Complete Poetical Works”